Powerful Confession Scenes (and Last Week’s Episode of Bones)

Bones

I don’t know if any of you are Bones fans. As a general rule, I don’t like forensic crime shows, but I’ve always been fascinated by this show because of the genuine chemistry between the two lead characters: Dr. Brennan, aka Bones, and Agent Booth. But, as with many other fans, I found myself growing dissatisfied over the way the storyline was playing out. I wanted to see them together…yes, I am a sucker for the HEAs. I understand the fear of losing the chemistry once the deed has been done, a la Moonlighting, but I personally feel there are plenty of other ways to keep it going…but I digress.

This last week’s episode of Bones was so compelling because it showed us what makes Bones tick. I don’t want to ruin it if there are any fans who haven’t seen it yet, so this is a *Spoiler Alert*.

Okay, with that out of the way…

At the end of this latest episode there was a very powerful confession of love scene between Bones and Booth. It was brilliantly played out by Emily Deschanel, the actress who plays Bones. The scene made me think about writing and the romance author’s job.

A romance author’s job is to make their reader feel the emotions that the characters are experiencing. This is what readers are looking for when they read a book. To be so connected to that character that they live the experience along with them.

What I found so powerful in this episode was the quiet passion with which Bones made her confession. It might not have been so convincing if the writers (and the actress) hadn’t done such a great job of bringing us inside Bones’ head throughout the episode (and in fact throughout the series).

So what are the lessons I learned from watching this episode?

• You need to build your characters throughout the story, to make them so relatable that when the black moment arrives, they live the experience along with the characters.
  • A character does not need to shout out her emotions to make them powerful. In fact, a quietly spoken revelation may be far more powerful, especially if it makes sense for the character’s personality.
  • We are all ultimately emotional beings seeking to create a connection with others. Our characters must be driven by the same needs and desires.
  • Unrequited love, or the possibility of it, is a very powerful thing. One of the bravest things a person can do is throw themself out there and risk getting their heart broken. We’ve all been there. Readers can automatically find something to connect to in a situation like that.

So I’d love to know, what’s your favorite ‘confession of love’ scene that you’ve read or seen on television? Any Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans out there? Remember when Spike confessed his feelings to Buffy? Great episode (especially the ending scene when she slams the door in his face).

12 thoughts on “Powerful Confession Scenes (and Last Week’s Episode of Bones)

claudia celestial girl said:
    December 13, 2010 at 9:32 am

I’ve never seen this one, but here are my favorite ‘confession’ scenes. All written by Karen Marie Moning!

a.) Gwen poised, hand on the door, outside the guard room where she’s locked Drustan, with him, hand on the opposite side, getting him to remember who he is.

b.) Dageus goes down in his knees, wraps his hands around Chloe’s calves and begs her to fly with him to Scotland. (They’d known each other for about 24 hours)

c.) Jericho Barrons painting Mac’s nails after she broke her arm.

OK, that’s enough! 😉

December 13, 2010 at 9:49 am

OK, let me just say, I love, love, love Karen Marie Moning! She was my first foray into the “paranormal” (though I don’t think they called it that when I first started reading her, LOL). Dageus’ story is my absolute favorite. 🙂

Rachel Firasek said:
    December 13, 2010 at 10:24 am

Hmmm. I love the confession scene in the movie The Ugle Truth. He tells her he loves her and she keeps ranting. Priceless!

December 13, 2010 at 11:43 am

I watched that movie last month. It was quite hilarious!

Rebecca Zanetti said:
    December 13, 2010 at 10:47 am

Actually, I liked Booth’s confession scene in DC — of course, I like Booth. 🙂

Also, I liked the scene in When Harry Met Sally when Harry tells her that when you figure out who you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want the rest of your life to start right now.

December 13, 2010 at 11:45 am

I loved Booth’s confession too, though Bones’ resonated more with me. I think maybe it’s because of her character. For her to admit she made a mistake, you know she’s got to be feeling some pretty powerful emotions.

December 13, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I stopped at spoiler alert. Sorry. I’ll pop back on after I watch it. I love Bones.

December 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm

You must, Ciara! I think you’ll really enjoy this episode. It was one of my favorites. 🙂

December 13, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve seen many confession scenes – some were brilliant, some not so memorable. Hmmmm…maybe when Hilo realized he loved Sharon/Athena on Battlestar Galactica? Or maybe that’s just because they are my favorite science fiction couple.
    I’ve never watched Bones. I know about the show. I can imagine how touching the scene must have been and how subtle.

December 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

It’s a good show, especially for fans of David Boreanaz. I’ve always thought he and Emily Deschanel had some of the best chemistry I’ve seen on the little screen. 🙂

Colie Han said:
    April 8, 2012 at 5:25 pm

i dont know where i can watch it.. i missed it…. does any one know where i can see it?????????????

April 11, 2012 at 6:45 am

I know that Fox broadcasts prior episodes but I’m not sure whether this particular one is there or not. Good luck finding it; it was awesome!