My Hunt for the Next Great Urban Fantasy

I admit it, I’m addicted to urban fantasy. Whether it’s vampires, angels, demons, or other mythological creatures, I just can’t get enough. But I find that I tend to gravitate toward the stories that contain strong romantic elements. Nothing moves me as deeply as characters falling in love.

Jeaniene Frost is my all-time favorite urban fantasy author. Her Night Huntress series, featuring vampires and (to a lesser degree) ghouls, straddles genres. The romance is so integral to the storyline that I don’t think the story could survive if you took it out. Alas, her next book isn’t out until the end of February.

Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunter series is another favorite. Ms. Singh masterfully created an alternate world where angels rule the Earth, and there is a strong romantic element.

Michelle Rowen’s Living in Eden features a woman who’s falling for the demon stuck inside her body. (Don’t worry, it’s only part of the time.) I’m about to read the second book in the series.

I also enjoy Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series. It’s a different world, and tons of fun, though from what I’ve seen so far the romance isn’t as strong as the other series.

That said, I’m on a mission to find a good urban fantasy with strong romantic elements. I would love to find something by a newer author I haven’t heard of. There are many seasoned authors I haven’t heard of too, so I’m open to any and all suggestions. Please do share if you’ve read an urban fantasy that has just stuck with you (you know, in a good way).

13 thoughts on “My Hunt for the Next Great Urban Fantasy

Suzanne said:
    December 22, 2010 at 8:18 am

I’m sure you’ve read these, but I’ll throw out JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series and two by Patricia Briggs–the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series. They’re my favorites! The Carrie Vaughn Kitty Norville series is pretty good, although the romance is very low-key and not so integral to the stories. Just finished Anna J Evans’ second demon book, Demon Marked and enjoyed it, though I thought some of the humor was a little over the top, and am reading Nina Bangs’s third in her Eternal series, which I am REALLY liking so far. Sexy guys and interesting worldbuilding.

December 22, 2010 at 8:55 am

I have to confess, Suzanne, I tried one of JR Wards a few years ago and couldn’t get into it. I know, I know, I have to go back to them. With all the buzz, I know they’ve got to be good. 🙂

I actually haven’t read Patricia Briggs yet, so thanks for the recommend! And yes, I’m a fan of Nina Bangs; her books are hilarious.

December 22, 2010 at 10:04 am

Is the Outlander series UF? Not a 100% sure, but my friend can’t stop talking about it. I hope to read it soon. Have you already read it?

December 22, 2010 at 10:56 am

Ciara, you mean Diana Gabaldon’s series? I think it’s considered straight fantasy. Haven’t read it yet, but heard it’s great.

Heather Vaughn said:
      August 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm

The Outlander Series is FABULOUS! I am a big Urban fantasy reader, going from one series to the next and when I was in between Urban fanstasy title (waiting for a new book to be released) I was told about The Outland Series. I was doubtful at first but now it is my all time favorite love story/fantasy. I listened to the audio books which are about 40 hours long but well worth it! Great naration. I don’t think I would have gotten as much from this series as I did from listening. Highly recommend!

December 22, 2010 at 10:11 am

Well…you can wait until I finish the UF I’m working on! Just kidding! You’ve already hit the authors I like. TJ at Dreams and Speculations recently had some good suggestions.

December 22, 2010 at 10:57 am

Hell ya, Julia! 🙂

Ooh, thanks for the tip. Will head over there…

Amy said:
    February 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Karen Marie Moning- her FEVER series. MUST READ- AMAZING!!! I’m on the hunt to find something as good, and so far…nada :/

February 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I read the last book two weekends ago. You’re right: amazing. I don’t know of any other series quite like it.

Ashley said:
    March 23, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I second Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson–loved those books! Also the Chicagoland Vampire Series by Chloe Neill, Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews, and Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter are all great urban fantasy with romance thrown in. I also loved Colleen Gleason’s the Gardella Vampire Series although it’s not really urban; it’s set in regency era England-but the characters have a modern feel to them and there’s great romantic tension throughout the series. Oh and the Morgan Kingsley series by Jenna Black was good.

I love Jeaniene Frost and Jennifer Estep as well, so thanks for the tip about the other two authors!

March 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Ooh, thanks for the recommendations, Ashley. Hope mine work for you. 🙂

Heather Vaughn said:
    August 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm

If you love the Jeaniene Frost, you will love Karen Chance, Cassie Palmer Serices. Also, I third the Patricia Briggs, very talented writer – both the Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega. I also suggest Kelley Armstrong, Women of Otherworld. I also loved the Karen Moring Fever Series and recently I have gotten attached to Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter Series. Lots of romance in all of these. Jennifer Estep great too! Can’t let you go without telling you about the Harry Dresden files. Not immediate romance, a long very well written series that builds overtime and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Great humor throughout the series. Try it and get past the first book, you won’t regret it!

August 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’ve heard a lot on both sides about this series. I’ll definitely have to check it out to see what all the hype is about. 🙂