Chemistry: It’s Not Just for Lovers (A Study of TV’s Supernatural)

Supernatural

Today I’m talking about my favorite television show: Supernatural.

I can’t imagine there’s anyone who hasn’t at least heard of the show, but in case you haven’t, it’s about two brothers fighting monsters, demons and other evil. Most recently they’ve even fought angels. Now in its 6th season, the show manages to raise the stakes every season.

Although the two brothers, Sam and Dean, have had various love interests throughout the years, no one has ever stuck. While I’m sure part of this is due to the fact that the show’s heavy female audience wants to pretend they have the brothers all to themselves, I think it’s also partly due to chemistry.

It’s my hypothesis that none of the love interests have been able to match the natural chemistry the two brothers share, and that’s a major part of why none of them have stuck. Sam and Dean play perfectly off each other. Their jokes and hijinks, their wisecracks. Their personalities are in perfect sync. Which has led me to a crucial understanding: chemistry isn’t just for lovers.

In the past I always thought of chemistry as sexual attraction, but the two aren’t necessarily the same thing. Chemistry (in my mind) is when two or more people share a special bond based on how well their personalities mesh.

In creating my series about four half-demon brothers, I referenced the natural camaraderie of Sam and Dean. My heroes are great on their own, but even better when they’re together.

Can you think of a book or series that features characters who aren’t lovers or would-be lovers but who have great chemistry?

For me, Larissa Ione’s Demonica series comes to mind. There is a genuine bond of trust and friendship between the brothers that propels the stories forward. Whenever I pick up one of the books in the series, I know I’m in for a great read.

16 thoughts on “Chemistry: It’s Not Just for Lovers (A Study of TV’s Supernatural)

kayspringsteen said:
    February 11, 2011 at 8:13 am

The new Hawaii 5-0: Steve McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin) and Danny “Danno” Williams (Scott Caan). AMAZING CHEMISTRY from day ONE last fall.

Re: Supernatural, the chemistry between the brothers is great…still! But a close second is between Dean and the boy he at first thought was his son.

February 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

I haven’t seen Hawaii 5-0 yet but I love me some Alex O’Loughlin, and Scott Caan is hilarious! Yeah, I think I’ll have to check it out. 🙂

February 11, 2011 at 8:37 am

A young Dean is the inspiration for my YA fallen angel. 🙂 He oozes charisma on screen!

February 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

Yes, charisma in spades. *sigh*

Rachel Firasek said:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

Okay, this is from my book. My heroine and her bff have a great chemistry that I built from my true life chemistry with my bff. Certain people just compliment each other, click and when that happens, everyone notices. I met my bff a year ago, and we already finish each others sentences. I like how much thought even your average tv show is provoking.

February 11, 2011 at 9:49 am

Yes! Certain personalities are the perfect compliment to each other; that’s what I love. To witness interplay between two people who are so obviously in sync.

Roni Lynne said:
    February 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

LOOOOVE Supernatural!!! The only 2 shows that I make a point to watch (US shows, that is) used to be Fringe and Supernatural. The writers of Fringe have tinkered too much with the chemistry between their leads over the past season or so and I think it has damaged the show. Because of that, now that Fringe & Supernatural are head to head on Friday nights, it’s a no-brainer: Sam & Dean all the way! My mother (who’s in her 60’s) loves the boys & has a bit of a crush on Castiel (I think he’s a sweetie too).
    It still boggles my mind that McG is behind both the excellent Supernatural & possibly one of the worst movies ever made—Terminator Salvation.
    Speaking of bad vs. good Rosalie, did you see that BBCAmerica is going to begin airing season 3 of Being Human on Feb. 19???
    I’m all twitterpated!!

~Roni

February 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

Me too!! It’s my favorite show, seconded closely by Being Human. I have heard Season 3 is coming. A possible romance between the vamp and the ghost? I may die from anticipation before the show airs! 🙂

Jack Ferguson said:
    February 11, 2011 at 11:16 am

There is an even more powerful nonsexual bond – soldiers (Band of Brothers.)

February 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm

The TV miniseries? Will have to check it out.

Beth Caudill said:
    February 11, 2011 at 11:48 am

I love Supernatural.

I would say Daemon, Lucivar, and Saetan from Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels series have great chemistry. They are half-brothers and father. So they are all related and have similar views on honor but each is different. They work well as individuals and are deadly as a family.

February 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Ooh, sounds like a good one (scary names notwithstanding). 🙂

Janet Flowers said:
    February 11, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I am really going to show my age here. But the original crew of the USS Enterprise on Star Trek had great chemistry. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and crew were great (drama and comedy combined at the most unexpected times).

kayspringsteen said:
      February 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I have to agree there – and while Abrams did a good job with the history in Star Trek 2009, not all of the chemistry was there (how could it be?)

February 11, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I’m going to have to start watching Supernatural from the beginning. My favorite mainstream show is NCIS BECAUSE of the chemistry between the main characters – it never ceases to enthrall me!

February 12, 2011 at 8:05 am

Oh, I loved the beginning of Supernatural! Actually I think every season has been great. They always find a way to build from the one before.