Bad Boy Heroes

I’m currently rereading Book 4 of Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series in preparation for the release of Book 5 later this month. For those of you who haven’t read it, the series features Cat, a half-vamp in love with Bones, a full vampire who’s a former prostitute and reformed playboy.

This Side of the Grave

Something about Bones drives me crazy. He’s the perfect blend of naughty and nice. That led me to thinking about today’s discussion topic: bad boy heroes.

What is it about bad boy heroes? You can’t help but be drawn to them, even if you might know better. Something about them is totally irresistible. So just what is it that makes them so fun to read and write about?

• They are Powerful

Bad boys have enough internal strength to go against authority. Remember the television series Angel?

Angel TV

Once Angel’s soul was returned, the easy thing for him to do would have been to run and hide. He was now vulnerable. But what did he do instead? He opened up his own detective agency focused on helping people suffering from supernatural problems.

• They Have Sexual Charisma

Bad boys are sexy as hell. Much of this stems from their confidence. They aren’t afraid to be who they are. Going back to Whedon-land, I’ll use Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer as an example.

Spike - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Spike knew exactly who he was and what he wanted, and he wasn’t afraid to show it. That’s sexy.

• There is a Hint of Vulnerability

Bad boys don’t become bad boys for no reason. Using Spike once again, we learn that at heart he’s a man looking for love. He only became a vampire because he was heartbroken over being jilted by Cecily, the woman he loved. Although he may act tough, what he really wants is to be loved and needed.

• They Make their Own Rules

Bad boys balk at authority. They operate outside of the boundaries of the law. In effect, they are natural leaders, and nothing draws people like leadership. William Wallace in Braveheart is the perfect example of this.

Braveheart

• We like to Watch them Fall in Love

Those of us who read romance love to watch a bad boy redeemed. In the Night Huntress series, Bones gives up his playboy ways when he falls in love with Cat. Despite her insecurities, he shows her over and over again that she’s the only one for him. What’s hotter than that?

So what is it about a bad boy that calls to you? Do you have a favorite bad boy character?

16 thoughts on “Bad Boy Heroes

Brinda Berry said:
    February 14, 2011 at 7:59 am

Yes, I’m a sucker for the bad boy. My current favorite baddie is Damon from Vampire Diaries (the tv series). I like the times when he shows some vulnerabilities, but I’m sure I wouldn’t like it if he lost his evil charming ways.

February 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

Ooh, I love Damon too! In fact he’s the muse for one of my side characters. 🙂

Roni Lynne said:
    February 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

Does Dean Winchester qualify?? Coz I luvs me some Dean!
    I always prefered Spike to Angel. Angel was too broody. Spike had a wicked sense of humor which is soooo sexy.

~Roni

February 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

Whoa, I can’t believe I left him out! Dean is my favoritest-favorite bad boy of all. I majorly heart him. 🙂

And yes, I too preferred Spike over Angel. No contest!

Roni Lynne said:
        February 14, 2011 at 11:21 am

LOL! I was wondering why Dean wasn’t on your list! Total bad boy hottie. I’d make him pudding & pie ANY day .

~Roni

February 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I know, how could I have forgotten? 🙂

February 14, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I am a big fan of bad boys. Always have been, always will be – but they can’t be bad to the bone, they have to be bad yet protective of those they love – without being possessive. My husband is my ultimate bad boy. He’s bad through and through, yet responsible, a great husband and father, very loving, kind to animals and children. It’s such a weird, difficult to describe dichotomy. He’s bad, but I know he’d never hurt the people he cares about and he’d protect those weaker than himself. Does that make sense?

February 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Yes, you’re absolutely right, Julia. Bad boys are fun only if they’re bad to a certain degree. Nobody wants an abusive asshole.

February 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Bad boys make the best love intrests. Why? Because if a bad boy falls in love, that girl must be truely special. If you have a character who uses everyone for his own gain then a woman makes him vulnerable, it’s special. Not sure I make sense, but ya know, I try. 🙂

February 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I completely agree, Ciara. Who doesn’t want to be the one girl to tame the beast? 🙂

Jack Ferguson said:
    February 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Ladies,ladies, why this attraction to Spike? Scrawny, sullen and all of that vampire baggage, and as I suggested a month or two ago, I think women are attracted – no actually – I know they are attracted to bad boys with the thought that they can change them into good boys. Sorry for venting, it’s kinda personal for me.

Besides, unlike Spike, I have a chin and proportional lips.

February 15, 2011 at 10:13 am

Well, that’s just it. There’s something about the notion that a woman might get a a bad boy to change for love. Subconsciously we women find that sexy as hell.

Note that in real life I’d never go for a bad boy. I want a good man I can rely on. (But maybe that’s why I like fantasy so much; can’t help but love the thought of the bad boy.) 🙂

Jack Ferguson said:
        February 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Where as guys hope a bad girl – stays a bad girl.
        🙂

February 16, 2011 at 10:05 pm

He-he. The differences between men and women…

Jack Ferguson said:
    February 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I feel better now.

Happy Valentines Day, I hope all of you are spending it with someone you love.