My Friday Good Reads List

I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately. There are just so many good books out there, and since I’m in between projects right now I’m indulging in my reading addiction. (I’ve also been single-handedly trying to keep Borders out of bankruptcy, but apparently my efforts have failed).

Today I thought I’d share a few of the good stories I’ve read lately, as well as those next on my list:

• First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones—This is the first book of a new urban fantasy series featuring a snarky detective who moonlights as the grim reaper. It won the 2009 Golden Heart award for best paranormal romance, and boy is that well deserved! Hilarious, engaging and utterly unique, this book is not to be missed.

• Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells—just discovered this series about a half-vampire, half-mage assassin who’s got major family issues. It’s a really fun urban fantasy read, and Book 3 of the series was released just this week.

• Magick Charm by Jennifer Wells—I got this one after reading the great review in RT Times. Holy cow, it was such a cute story. I’m feeling a major case of writer envy after reading it. This despite the fact that, even though its billed as paranormal romance, there wasn’t much paranormal about it. As a matter of fact, there wasn’t even any sex in it. Since those are two of my favorite things and I loved this book even without them, you know it’s got to be good!

• Claiming the Evil Dead by Mary Abshire—This is the first book in a new urban fantasy series featuring a half-demon soul catcher. The premises is fun and unique, and the plotlines remain fresh and exciting as the series progresses. (I can say this with certainty because Mary is my critique partner and I’m currently working through her awesome Book 4. Smile) Book 2 entitled Catching an Evil Tail released just last week from Noble Romance Publishing, so if you love this story like I did, you don’t have to wait for the next installment!

Next up on my "To Be Read” List:

• 666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce—This book is billed as a sort of Rosemary’s Baby meets Gossip Girl. Right now I’m about a third of the way into it and I can’t put it down. I love gothic horror and this story certainly fits the bill.

• This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost—The next installment in her Night Huntress series (Book 5). This is my absolute favorite series right now, so I’m dying to get the book in. Hopefully it will be in the mail later this week. Borders has been taking forever to ship their books lately. Wonder why? (*wink*)

• A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang—This has been billed as a cross-genre novel: Urban Fantasy Romance. I’ve been dying to find another one of these since I picked up Ms. Frost’s Night Huntress series, so I can’t wait to get my grubby paws on this one.

• Beyond a Highland Whisper by Maeve Grayson – This one features an archaeologist and a cursed 15th Century highlander. I love the concept of this story and just can’t wait to start reading this one.

• Heir to the Underworld by E.D. Walker —This is a YA featuring a heroine who discovers that the Greek gods really do exist. If you follow my blog, you already know how psyched I am about this one. Smile

• Ruling Eden by Michelle Picard – I won this book from the lovely Rachel Firasek’s site. A story about a woman who learns she is the ruler of the magical realm of Eden. A unique and beautiful-sounding fantasy romance; I can’t wait to read it.

So have you read any good books lately? Maybe something by a new or up-and-coming author? If so, please share! I’m sure there are at least a few people looking for a recommendation on a good book to read right now.

14 thoughts on “My Friday Good Reads List

Mary Abshire said:
    February 25, 2011 at 8:17 am

Interesting choices. I’ll have to check these out.
    Thanks for listing CED ;o)
    There are so many new books and up-and-coming authors. I think you have a good start here!
    :o)

February 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

There are tons of great books out there, especially for paranormal lovers. I’ve been so excited at the quality of the stories I’ve read lately. 🙂

Linda said:
    February 25, 2011 at 8:27 am

Loved your short reviews. I was intriqued by First Grave on the Right, went to Amazon, and was hit with disappointment. It isn’t available for the Kindle. When and if it is, I hope it’s priced at $6.99 of under.

February 25, 2011 at 9:10 am

Linda, that was an expensive book as it came out in hardcover only. But I’d heard such good buzz about it that I had to try it, and I’m glad I did. It really is a unique, engaging story.

Amy McCorkle said:
    February 25, 2011 at 8:49 am

I am always grateful for a new suggestion to read. Might I give you yet another, Deathsword by Pamela Turner. I can’t wait to line shelves with some of your selections.

February 25, 2011 at 9:13 am

Oh yes, I actually saw an interview with this author a few months ago and was feeling major love over the cover art. This sounds like my kind of story. Thanks for the recommendation!

Maeve Greyson said:
    February 25, 2011 at 9:13 am

LOL! I was scrolling down the list taking note of which ones to add to my TBR pile and I came across a VERY familiar book. Great post,Rosalie! And thanks so much for including me in it. 🙂

February 25, 2011 at 9:20 am

Time travels were the very first paranormals I read and I still absolutely love them. I’m looking forward to reading your work!

February 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oh, I have several of these on my TBR. Hi, Maeve, I can’t wait to read yours. Also, I’m currently reading Allison Pang’s A Brush of Darkness.

February 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Those books I discussed as having read are great books, in my opinion. I’d recommend them to anyone. And I’m dying to read the ones on my TBR list (actually my TBR list is 40 books long, the ones I listed above are just at the top of the pile). I wish there were more hours in the day!

Kim Bowman said:
    February 25, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Wonderful information and list. Thank you

February 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I’m glad you liked it, Kim. Great books all of them. 🙂

E.D. Walker said:
    March 1, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I’m glad you’re excited to read “Heir to the Underworld”. I really hope you like it, and thanks for giving it a shout-out. 🙂

March 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm