I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately. There are just so many good books out there, and since I’m in between projects right now I’m indulging in my reading addiction. (I’ve also been single-handedly trying to keep Borders out of bankruptcy, but apparently my efforts have failed).
Today I thought I’d share a few of the good stories I’ve read lately, as well as those next on my list:
- First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones—This is the first book of a new urban fantasy series featuring a snarky detective who moonlights as the grim reaper. It won the 2009 Golden Heart award for best paranormal romance, and boy is that well deserved! Hilarious, engaging and utterly unique, this book is not to be missed.
- Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells—just discovered this series about a half-vampire, half-mage assassin who’s got major family issues. It’s a really fun urban fantasy read, and Book 3 of the series was released just this week.
- Magick Charm by Jennifer Wells—I got this one after reading the great review in RT Times. Holy cow, it was such a cute story. I’m feeling a major case of writer envy after reading it. This despite the fact that, even though its billed as paranormal romance, there wasn’t much paranormal about it. As a matter of fact, there wasn’t even any sex in it. Since those are two of my favorite things and I loved this book even without them, you know it’s got to be good!
- Claiming the Evil Dead by Mary Abshire—This is the first book in a new urban fantasy series featuring a half-demon soul catcher. The premises is fun and unique, and the plotlines remain fresh and exciting as the series progresses. (I can say this with certainty because Mary is my critique partner and I’m currently working through her awesome Book 4. ) Book 2 entitled Catching an Evil Tail released just last week from Noble Romance Publishing, so if you love this story like I did, you don’t have to wait for the next installment!
Next up on my "To Be Read” List:
- 666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce—This book is billed as a sort of Rosemary’s Baby meets Gossip Girl. Right now I’m about a third of the way into it and I can’t put it down. I love gothic horror and this story certainly fits the bill.
- This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost—The next installment in her Night Huntress series (Book 5). This is my absolute favorite series right now, so I’m dying to get the book in. Hopefully it will be in the mail later this week. Borders has been taking forever to ship their books lately. Wonder why? (*wink*)
- A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang—This has been billed as a cross-genre novel: Urban Fantasy Romance. I’ve been dying to find another one of these since I picked up Ms. Frost’s Night Huntress series, so I can’t wait to get my grubby paws on this one.
- Beyond a Highland Whisper by Maeve Grayson – This one features an archaeologist and a cursed 15th Century highlander. I love the concept of this story and just can’t wait to start reading this one.
- Heir to the Underworld by E.D. Walker —This is a YA featuring a heroine who discovers that the Greek gods really do exist. If you follow my blog, you already know how psyched I am about this one.
- Ruling Eden by Michelle Picard – I won this book from the lovely Rachel Firasek’s site. A story about a woman who learns she is the ruler of the magical realm of Eden. A unique and beautiful-sounding fantasy romance; I can’t wait to read it.
So have you read any good books lately? Maybe something by a new or up-and-coming author? If so, please share! I’m sure there are at least a few people looking for a recommendation on a good book to read right now.