Self-Publishing: Some News…And a Cover

On the tail of all the industry upheaval going on, it’s time for an announcement (LOL):

I’m releasing my first self-published work soon! For Love of an Angel is a sexy paranormal romance set in an alternate reality where angels rule over humans. It’s complete and awaiting the services of a professional editor. In the meantime, here’s my cover:

Cover - For Love of an Angel

Squee! I’m totally in love with it.

I’m sure some people will wonder why I chose to self-publish. Did I submit the story to various publishing houses and get turned down? Nope. This story has never been submitted to a publishing house. In fact, I wrote it with the sole intent of self-publishing it. Why? Well, there are a variety of factors that went into my decision, but here are some of them:

• Control – I like the thought of having control over things like price and where the book will be sold. I know, I know, it’s time consuming, but it’s also liberating.
  • Experimentation – Price, Deals, Giveaways. I can experiment with all of this to see what brings in the most sales. And since I can track everything I do, I’ll actually know what’s working and what isn’t.
  • Getting Others Acquainted with my Voice – This is a big one. I’d like to build a following, but it’s hard to do that without having product out there for people to read. Of course there’s the risk of putting out an inferior product, but this is where the services of a professional editor come in handy.

So now that I’ve decided to self-publish, does this mean I’ve given up my dream of signing with a traditional publisher? Of course not. I’ve got my eye on several different publishers, both NY and digital. But I’m in this for the long haul, and I truly believe a wise and enterprising author will diversify herself.

Anyone else have any news to share? Smile

32 thoughts on “Self-Publishing: Some News…And a Cover

Bart Palamaro said:
    April 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

Good-O, Rosalie. Nice cover, did you do it yourself? Keep us up to date on your self… OK, let’s call it “Indie,” publishing experience.

April 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Thanks, Bart. No I actually hired someone to do the cover. I’m not that artistic, LOL.

Lara Nance said:
    April 1, 2011 at 8:22 am

Rosalie, That cover is awesome! Very professional. I wish you the best of luck!

Steven Konkoly said:
    April 1, 2011 at 9:04 am

Congratulations, Rosalie. I am confident that you’ll find the experience rewarding, and you’ll learn more than you expected. If you have any questions about Amazon, please don’t hesitate. My book has been “indie” published for about four months, and I learn something new every day about tweaking the process.

As for news, I received an offer from a small press publisher yesterday (they contacted me out of the blue about a month ago). I’m extremely torn, mainly because I don’t want to give surrender my e-book rights (and royalties). The offer was pretty standard for the entire industry, and I could certainly use some help with cover art (nice cover by the way!), further editing and hard copy marketing and distribution. I’m going to counter-offer and suggest a hybrid deal, which secures the gains I’ve already made in the e-book realm, but surrenders paper rights under traditional terms. I’m nervous to press send. I haven’t heard of a hybrid deal, but I’ll have to turn the whole thing down if they can’t do it. I’ll let you all know what happens.

April 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thanks so much, Steven. I’m sure it will take a while to learn the ropes on Amazon, so I appreciate the offer of guidance. Congrats on getting an offer and good luck with your decision. Please do keep up posted!

April 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Oops, I meant to say “Keep us posted.”

Roni Lynne said:
    April 1, 2011 at 9:05 am

Oh my, my, my! Woo! Sizzling cover! Love it! The story also sounds fantastic. You will definitely have to keep us all informed on when and where this will be available!

Best of luck with this self-pub adventure!

~Roni Lynne
    YA Adventures in the Paranormal…and Beyond!

April 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Thanks so much, Roni. Yeah, I wanted to the cover to match the story, which is pretty sizzling, LOL. I will definitely keep everyone posted on how it all works out.

April 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

Oh wow! I’m so excited for you. You’re doing this for the same reasons I’m planning – way to go, Rosalie! Let us know everything that happens. And…the cover is to die for!

April 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thanks so much, Julia. Yeah, I’m dying over the awesomeness of this cover.

Robyn said:
    April 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

Gorgeous cover! I am looking forward to the release!

Christine Ashworth said:
    April 1, 2011 at 11:16 am

I agree Rosalie, gorgeous cover! I do think you’re brave, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? All the best of luck to you!

April 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm

That’s right, Christine. I’ll never know what it’s like if I don’t do it. 🙂 Thanks.

mary abshire said:
    April 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Very nice cover, Rosalie!!!! I’m soooo happy for you! I wish you great success!!

April 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thanks so much, Mary. I’m super excited!

Viki S. said:
    April 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Congratulations and much success in your self publishing. The cover is beautiful!

Pamela L said:
    April 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Good luck on your self-publishing journey! It’s one I’m thinking of taking, although I also want to leave my options open. 🙂

April 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thanks so much Pamela, and good luck with your decisions. 🙂

Cheryl Wright said:
    April 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous cover!

More and more authors are going the self-publishing route. I’ve done it myself for more than a dozen non-fiction books, and it’s been a great experience.

I love the control more than anything. I also have my covers created professionally – it makes a huge difference.

I’m interested to know what route you’re taking – are you using a company like Smashwords, or Amazon Kindle, or what?

Just curious…

April 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Cheryl. I’m using Smashwords but I’ve heard from a few sources I should upload direct to Kindle.

Cheryl Wright said:
        April 2, 2011 at 1:00 am

Smashwords to that for you, Rosalie. If you do it yourself, it would be double handling.

Besides, if you upload directly to Kindle, you’ll have to do all the formatting, whereas Smashwords handles that.

Also, if you and Smashwords both do it, it’s like competing against yourself…

April 2, 2011 at 6:56 am

I was planning on opting out of the Kindle upload on Smashwords and doing it directly through the Amazon site instead. So it would only be uploaded once. The reason why is b/c I’ve heard from others who self-pub that Smashwords takes 15% (on top of what Kindle takes). I’ve also heard it can take some time for Smashwords to get it up on the Amazon site. So that’s why I’m bypassing it for Kindle.

Mandi Casey said:
    April 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Rosalie, very awesome cover! Nicely done 🙂

April 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Love the cover!! Oh, how exciting. 🙂

April 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Thinks, Ciara. It should be a fun, exciting, crazy new experience.

Alicia Coleman said:
    April 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Congratulations! I’ve been giving self publishing a lot of thinking too. I have friends who write science fiction that self pub all their books with great results. Good Luck. Great cover btw.

alex d said:
    September 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I have been writing for many years now, and have had several of my works published. However the hardest part I always come to when I am writing, is getting it published. Most would say writers block, but I have had the hardest time getting my work published until I started self publishing my own work through a great resource I found. I found that their unique transfer software allows just about any body submit their books from any manuscript layout software they use. Soon enough they will then publish a book in trade quality from as many copies as you desire. It even takes only a week to get the published copies. Instantpublisher has saved me so many different troubles when it comes to writing.