So Everybody Is Dead…What Now?

Vampire Diaries

Today I’m talking about Vampire Diaries and writing: what do you do when you’ve killed practically everyone?

I’ll admit, I’m a fan of the CW show Vampire Diaries. It’s got everything I love in entertainment: the supernatural, hot guys, and a love triangle. But when I first started watching the show I was fully prepared to hate it. It’s all been done before, or so I thought. I was wrong.

I think it’s J.R. Ward who says you have to write “balls to the wall”. What she means by that is don’t save anything for later. Throw your best ideas out there, and hope to hell you can come up with new ones later. That’s what Vampire Diaries does. They never fail to surprise because they don’t hold anything back. This last episode several ‘main’ characters died. One of the brothers was even bitten by a werewolf, which is supposed to be fatal to vampires. I’m sure they’ll come up with a way to save him. At least I hope (*wrings hands*). But I’ve learned not to expect anything with that show.

You might think it would be counterintuitive to kill practically everyone on a television show, because then what’s left? But Vampire Diaries has no qualms about that. Now, I haven’t read the books so I don’t know if the screenwriters are just following the book storylines or if they are coming up with this themselves. Either way, it’s a good lesson for a writer. Hit your readers with your best stuff, and hope you can think of better when it comes to the next book. If you don’t do that, you might not get another chance to show the readers what you’ve got.

Did anyone else watch this last week’s episode of Vampire Diaries? If so, what did you think? Smile

7 thoughts on “So Everybody Is Dead…What Now?

Terry said:
    May 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

If they kill off Damon, I’ll shoot myself. Ugh! 🙂

May 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

I know, Terry, he’s the major reason why I watch the show! I don’t think they’ll kill him off since the premise of the show is the love triangle. Right? (Someone reassure me please!)

Roni Lynne said:
    May 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Rosalie,

This is excellent advice! Crack the whip! Throw everything you’ve got at these characters, make them work for their space on each page! LOL!

I haven’t watched much VD this season, so I’m waaay out of the loop. But I love when a show is willing to take risks—another good example was the season 3 ending of the British Being Human—I’m still stressing over that!

~Roni Lynne
    YA Adventures in the Paranormal…and Beyond!

May 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

No, no! Why did you have to mention Season 3? I haven’t watched it yet! Yeah, I’m seriously dying to. Love that show. 🙂

May 9, 2011 at 11:30 am

I’ve never watched, but I do know that in his Fire and Ice series George R. R. Martin kills off nearly everyone I love. Big risk, sometimes it pays off. But you gotta be good to make it pay off.

May 9, 2011 at 11:33 am

It’s hard when you get really attached to someone, like I’m attached to Damon. Not sure how I feel about that. If they killed him, I probably wouldn’t watch anymore.

Sidney said:
    May 9, 2011 at 11:58 am

LOL, Terry. I love Damon too. I imagine I’d most likely shoot the TV instead of myself if they indeed kill him off. Hey, I’ve got books to write and I can’t do it if I’m dead 🙂