For Love of an Angel Releases Today!

Cover Art Large

Today is an exciting day for me: the official release of my paranormal romance, For Love of an Angel! This is the self-publishing project I’ve been talking about for the last few months. Now that the book is live and on sale, I can talk about some of the self-publishing lessons I’ve learned:

• Writing and Editing are Just the Beginning

When you self-publish a book, writing it and getting it professionally edited are just the start of what you have to do. After that you have to make sure you format the book so it is readable. An obvious hint: read the Smashwords guide for formatting and carefully adhere to it. It’s damn long, and it might be tempting to skip a step, but if you do you’ll regret it.

• Convert Your Files Before Uploading

If you are uploading to Amazon and BN.com yourself, convert the file format before uploading it. This one isn’t so obvious. The sites will let you upload a word document, but if you do it that way the formatting is off. So what I did was save my word document into .html format, then use Mobipocket Creator (for the .mobi or .prc file, i.e. Kindle) and Calibre/Sigil (for the .epub file, i.e. Nook). These are free programs, and my document came out so much cleaner that way than when I tried to upload my word document.

• Give Yourself Time / Have Patience

The whole process of uploading took me several days. Realize you won’t be able to do it all within 10 minutes. Patience is key here.

Here’s a little bit about For Love of an Angel:

In a world where angels rule over humans, twelve outcasts dare to defy expectation, warring with their angel brethren to prevent the extinction of humankind.

They are The Fallen…

Michael is one of twelve angels who have been outcast due to their determination to protect humans. In order to preserve his immortality and strength, he must find a mate with angel blood. Eva Smyth has never believed the propaganda spouted by the Consortium—the elite system of guards put into place once angels took over reign of Earth—but she never expected to learn the angels plan to eradicate all of humankind, or that she herself is part angel. Joining Michael means living a life on the run, at war against the angels and hunted by the Consortium. Eva must decide whether to risk it all…for love of an angel.

For Love of an Angel is available for purchase from Amazon, BN.com and Smashwords at the low price of $1.99.

16 thoughts on “For Love of an Angel Releases Today!

Kim Bowman said:
    May 11, 2011 at 8:34 am

Congrats, Rosalie. and thank you for the tips. I have no doubt this will be a HUGE hit:)

May 11, 2011 at 8:46 am

Thanks so much, Kim! I know I had a great editor *wink*.

Mary George said:
    May 11, 2011 at 9:09 am

Congrats, Rosalie. I think the cover is sweet. I am also trudging down the self publsihing road with Smashword and yes it is intense. Thanks for the tips this morning. Hope to see you at Smashword soon.

Mary George.

May 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Thanks so much, Marcy. Good luck with your project. Let us know when it’s up and running! 🙂

May 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

Way to go! Can’t wait to read this one. I so need help formatting mine!

May 11, 2011 at 10:55 am

Thanks Julia. You know, if you’re really stressing about it, there are companies who will do it. I believe Smashwords recommends some. They aren’t that expensive. Might be a good option for that first book, and you can follow the formatting they did for your following books. 🙂

Viki S. said:
    May 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

Congratulations! This looks very good – and what a beautiful cover.

May 11, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thanks Viki. I love this cover! And wait until you see the cover for Book 2. 🙂

laradunning said:
    May 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Congratulations! Learning lessons are always good, especially when you know your going to be doing it over and over again.

May 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

So true, Lara. The first time for anything is tough, but the process will become easier and easier. 🙂

Shelley Munro said:
    May 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm

This is a timely post for me since I’m working toward self-publishing. The formating part does sound a bit scary. Congrats on your new release!

May 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thanks, Shelley. Formatting is nervewracking, but it’s certainly doable. 🙂

Boone Brux said:
    May 11, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Congrats, Rosalie. What a great accomplishment!

Boone

May 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Thanks, Boone! It’s been fun. 🙂

mary abshire said:
    May 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Congratulations Rosalie. I wish you great success. And thanks for sharing your tips. Days to format and upload? Eeks! Alas, it can be done, and you did it!! Hurray!!

May 11, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Thanks so much, Mary. I’m sure next time it’ll be a breeze. Learning curve, and all that. 🙂