Why I Wrote a Ghost Story

Everyone, I have a special guest on the blog today. Julia Rachel Barrett is here to talk about her new release, Incorporeal:

Why I wrote a ghost story.

The answer is so simple – because I was told it can’t be done.  Three publishers informed me that ghost stories do not, EVER, sell.  I was told there is no market for a ghost romance, that there are no readers for a ghost romance.  I asked myself, is this really true?  I love a good ghost story, always have…always will.

I have this problem.  If you tell me not to do something, I immediately do it.  My mom told me not to stick my tongue on a freezing lampost.  As soon as I got outside, I stuck my tongue on a lampost.  She told me I couldn’t fly so I spent years jumping out of trees and off garage roofs to prove I could. Three broken ankles later, I finally decided retreat was the better part of valor, but I still believe I can fly. Oops!  Guess it’s true.  I don’t always act in my own best interest!

You know, here’s the thing, writing Incorporeal was fun.  In fact, it was a blast!  I decided to tone down the erotica that I more typically write and instead tell a story.  I threw two characters together, both of whom were confused by their paranormal circumstances, but despite the big challenges they face – the biggest is that he’s dead while she’s alive – Sara Wise and Natan de Manua fall in love.  Natan comes alive in Sara’s arms.  Both characters came vividly alive in my imagination and I knew I would publish their story on my own, advice to the contrary be damned!

Another character came alive during the writing of Incorporeal and he gets his own story in my next installment, In the Flesh, when Sara and Nathan’s Guardian gets another chance at life and love.

Thanks for having me, Rosalie.

Blurb for Incorporeal:

Sara Wise is sick of ghosts. They’ve haunted her since she was a child, destroying her family, endangering her life. When an incorporeal being appears in her shower, she curses him soundly and orders him out, but this ghost is sticky. Not only does he invade her shower, he moves into her home, invading her dreams, sharing her bed. The reluctant Sara finds herself falling in love with a dead man.

Despite Sara’s objections, Natan de Manua isn’t permitted to leave. Protecting the woman is both his penance and his means to redemption.  She’s not easy to protect, she fights him nearly every step of the way, except in her bed. Nathan may have come to regain his soul, but instead he risks losing his heart.

You can learn more about Julia here: http://juliarachelbarrett.net

Incorporeal is available at:
Amazon:  http://amzn.to/mTvA1j
ARE:  http://bit.ly/r0uKQs
Smashwords:  http://bit.ly/pnoQpt

Thanks so much for telling us more about your story, Julia! For all you out there, I’d love to know if you enjoy a good old ghost romance. I know I do! Anyone remember that old Steve Guttenberg movie, High Spirits?

24 thoughts on “Why I Wrote a Ghost Story

Suzanne Johnson said:
    July 29, 2011 at 8:59 am

Congrats on the book, Julia! I think for every “rule” (i.e., ghosts don’t sell) out there, there’s a way to break the rule and make it work. For movies, I automatically think “Ghost” for a love story–you can’t get much better than that. Scary-wise, I adore the old John Carpenter film “The Fog.”

July 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Thanks, Suzanne. I just think some rules are meant to be broken. Besides, if nothing else, I’m only out my time. I enjoyed writing the story.

July 29, 2011 at 9:06 am

Julia, thanks so much for agreeing to be on the site today. I’m a huge fan of ghost romance stories. I read quite a few back in the day but until you noted it I hadn’t even realized that I haven’t seen one of those in the market for years.

July 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm

The last ‘ghost’ romance I read was…five years ago? Maybe longer. There’s more in the paranormal world than vampires, shifters and demons.

rfirasek said:
    July 29, 2011 at 9:31 am

Julia, one of the things I love most about you and your writing is your courage ( even if it is out of pure rebellion) I look forward to digging into this and I’m referring it to a friend who is struggling through her own ghost stories. Thanks so much!!! 🙂 Woo-Hoo to the writers that step outside the box!

July 29, 2011 at 9:49 am

Thanks for inviting me, Rosalie!
    I have no more of an issue with ghost stories than I have with vampire romances. When it comes to paranormal romance, I think the sky’s the limit, provided we stay within the rules of our own creation.

jennifer121 said:
    July 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

Wow, this looks so good! I too hate when someone tells me I can’t. I tend to love occupations and characters that some editors deem “unsaleable.” Kudos to you – it’s going in my TBR pile!

July 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Thanks, Jennifer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The fire department had to get my head out of a wrought iron railing too!

Susi Sunshine said:
    July 29, 2011 at 9:56 am

I, as a reader, loved this book so much.I don’t seem to agree with these publishers either. It’s not like the most important thing is the theme of a novel. Just because vamps are hip right now I still won’t love many of them. And how can they judge the book before they even know what it’s like. Seriously makes me angry. I’m pretty much like Julia that way.
    So Julia, keep on writing great books and I will keep on reading them- no matter the genre.

July 29, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Susi – your advice was invaluable! Thanks for the support! I’m happy you love my books.

Jeannie Burriss Guzman said:
    July 29, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hey, I like a good ghost story, in fact, I’ve written a few, but they’re tucked away where no one can see them, like you, I was told it couldn’t be done. You’ve given me hope. Thanks again.

Katalina Leon said:
    July 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

This story sounds great and I’m excited to hear there will be a spin-off story…
    Personally I love ghost stories! The movies “Ghost” and “The Ghost and Mrs. Muir” are as romantic as it gets. I love that you concentrated on emotion and characters and wrote “Incorporeal” in that classic higher-love vein. It’s a very beautiful premise.
    XXOO Kat

July 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh Kat, I adore The Ghost and Mrs. Muir – I sob every time I watch it. Ghost is pretty dang good and sexy too! Might be the one Demi Moore movie I can watch repeatedly.

Marianne Stephens said:
    July 30, 2011 at 1:04 am

I remember High Spirits…and I love ghost stories. Even watch the “Haunted” TV shows.
    Good luck with sales!

July 30, 2011 at 8:46 am

Thanks, Marianne – I watch some of the ‘ghost hunter’ shows as well. They are pure fun!

Shelley Munro said:
    July 30, 2011 at 4:54 am

LOL Good on you, Julia. I don’t like being told you can’t do something either. In fact, I wrote a ghost story too. My love of ghost stories started with The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I love the sound of your story. Good luck with it!

July 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

Thanks, Shelley! I too love The Ghost and Mrs. Muir! Makes me sob every single time I watch it.

[…] Yesterday I blog-hopped over to Rosalie Lario’s blog and read J. R. Barrett’s post about her new release, Incorporeal. Her post was titled Why I Wrote a Ghost Story. […]

jessicaaspen said:
    July 30, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Love ghost stories, and I think there have been some great ones! Just remember they told JK Rowling that stories about kids in wizzard schools wouldn’t sell either. You show ’em!

Mary Montague Sikes - Monti said:
    September 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Ghost stories have always fascinated me. Good for you to persist!

Monti
    NotesAlongTheWay

Free Social Bookmarking said:
    March 2, 2012 at 4:10 am

Free Social Bookmarking…

[…]Why I Wrote a Ghost Story « Rosalie Lario[…]…

wwozers said:
    March 27, 2012 at 4:07 am

wwozers…

[…]Why I Wrote a Ghost Story « Rosalie Lario[…]…