Self-Publishing Update: Month 4

This post is specifically directed to any of you who are writers and who are interested in self-publishing.

It’s been 4 months since I published my first self-published novel, For Love of an Angel, and since I’m an open book, I thought I’d give you all an update on sales.

(Note that I calculated prior sales figures based on release date, i.e. May 10-June 9, etc. To make things easier on my poor little brain, I’m now just going to give you sales numbers by the month, and I’m taking them right off my royalty statements.)

Amazon:                                          BN:

May – 54                                          May – 23

June – 99                                         June – 29

July – 455                                       July – 22

August – 925                                 August – 32

As for Smashwords, I think I’ve sold maybe 5 total in the entire time this book has been out.

So as you can see, Barnes & Noble sales have remained pretty flat the whole four months.

As far as Kindle sales, there was a pretty big jump between June and July. Can I attribute this to anything specific? No, not really. I’ve had reviews trickling out the entire four months, and I did a few small advertisements in May and June. That’s it.

Now, all that’s all great. But what about this month (September)? Well, so far I’m on track to beat last month, but not double it. 😦 Yes, it makes me sad, but at 500 sales and counting for the month of September, I’m not crying too hard.

Okay, those are the cold, hard figures! Book 2 in my series (Angel’s Desire) is in the final editing stages, so I should have news soon about when that will release. (YAY!!) I’ll be sure to keep you all posted on how the release of that second book affects overall sales!

40 thoughts on “Self-Publishing Update: Month 4

rfirasek said:
    September 14, 2011 at 7:17 am

Awesome!!! This is great news! Thank you for sharing.

Rebecca Anhalt said:
    September 14, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thank you so much for sharing. I really appreciate knowing how others are managing their self-publishing. Is this your first publication? Or had you been established previously?

September 14, 2011 at 7:32 am

Rebecca, I have published before, but under a pseudonym. Now, I did sign a contract with a new publisher, Entangled Publishing, sometime in April, and my first title released in August. I’m willing to bet the buzz surrounding that accounted for a good portion of my sales.

Juliana Haygert said:
    September 14, 2011 at 7:30 am

Hey Rosalie, great numbers.

Even if September sales don’t double August sales, you’re doing great!

Oh, and I’m dying to read about Ethan!

Valerie Hamer said:
    September 14, 2011 at 7:36 am

Great stats, well done. Did you publish through Smashwords?

September 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

Valerie, I published through Smashwords, KDP (Amazon), and Pubit (BN.com).

dawn chartier said:
    September 14, 2011 at 7:39 am

Hi Rosalie,
    Thanks for sharing. After I got my rights back to NOT AN ANGEL, I decided to try out the self-publishing thing myself. It just went live yesterday and I sold about a dozen books already. I was shocked. I’m not even sure how people find it, because I went scrolling through books just to see if I could come across it and I couldn’t. Anyway, I hope my vampire novel continues to sell, I’m enjoying not having to share my profit with my ex-publisher anymore. 🙂

Keep climbing in your sales!!!
    Dawn Chartier

September 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

I don’t know how people find them either, but they seem to! Great for us authors. 🙂

Renee Rearden said:
    September 14, 2011 at 8:56 am

Thanks so much for sharing your stats. It’s helpful and encouraging. I hope your sales continue to build!!!

terryspear said:
    September 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

Super job, Rosalie!!! Your next book should do really well too! I have to say I LOVE your cover!!! Just beautiful!

And, Dawn, sounds like you’re off to a great start!

September 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

Thanks, Terry. Wait until you see the cover for Book 2! It’s my personal fave.

Patricia Eimer said:
    September 14, 2011 at 9:29 am

Rosalie,

Wow! I had no idea self publishing could be so successful. Having read both of your Demons of the Infernum books in one sitting each I know what a fab author you are so I’m not at all surprised on that end.

Congratulations. And I will definitely be picking up this book today.

September 14, 2011 at 9:41 am

Aw, thanks so much, Patricia. *blushes* And right back at you! I loved Luck of the Devil!

ishmael said:
    September 14, 2011 at 10:01 am

Congratulations on your self-published novel. Everything seems going great. It is just nice to hear successful stories from self-published authors. 🙂

September 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

Thank you, Ishmael. I’m so glad I decided to pursue self-publishing. It’s an amazing sense of accomplishment, and hopefully more good things will follow.

Katalina Leon said:
    September 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

Thank you Rosalie for being so amazingly open and generous. I’m so happy for you.
    XXOO Kat
    PS That book cover is just stunning, who could resist!

September 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

Thanks, Kat! Yes, it is a yummy cover, isn’t it? I still love to stare at it and drool. 🙂

Kendall Grey said:
    September 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Wow, Rosalie! Those numbers are quite impressive. You give me hope for my own novels, which I plan to self-pub next spring. I’m keeping an eye on you. 🙂 Oh, and add one more tally mark to your September Amazon sales. Just bought a copy.

September 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Kendall! You’re getting your name out there, so that’s a big step in the right direction. I’m sure your sales will be great! And hope you enjoy For Love of an Angel. 🙂

Amber LaShell said:
    September 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I self-published my first book, but it was an erotica and I didn’t put much into advertising, so it didn’t do very well…

Now i have written the first book of a series and was thinking if i should self-publish it or not.

What have you done to have your sales be as good as they are?

September 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

You got me, Amber. I’m not very good at promoting myself, so it had to be a mixture of my blog, the good Amazon reviews, blogger reviews, and the fact that I had signed a series with Entangled Publishing.

I did run a contest in the back of Book 1 for a free copy of Book 2. All the reader had to do was post an honest review on Amazon and let me know they did it. Got some good Amazon reviews this way. (BTW, I’m announcing the winners of that contest next week, for anyone who entered.)

Lisa Kessler said:
    September 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I think those are awesome figures Rosalie!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

And supposedly the more backlist you build the sales will build too… 🙂

Lisa

September 14, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Thanks, Lisa! Yes, that’s what I hear about backlist. Hopefully that’s true!

Gabriella Hewitt said:
    September 14, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Thank you so much Rosalie for sharing.It is nice to see the numbers and know that the leap isn’t so scary. We are considering a self-pub series and it is nice to know the expense of getting the formatter, editor and the coverart is well worth it. You rock! BTW, beautiful cover.

September 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm

You’re welcome, Gabriella. I certainly have no regrets as far as paying for editing and cover art. 🙂

Suzie Quint said:
    September 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

What does that translate into for Amazon ranking?

September 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm

My best Amazon rank was 1,336 (US). 🙂

Regina Owensby Mize said:
    September 15, 2011 at 1:12 am

Congratulations on your book’s success and on securing a contract with Entangled. I hope you continue to see increased success with each coming month.

I am also considering self-publishing my first novel but the formatting is a little daunting. Do you have any advice or know of any good resource that tells how exactly to format a manuscript from Word for Kindle, B&N, and Smashwords?

September 15, 2011 at 2:33 am

Thanks Regina. I used the Smashwords formatting guide, which can be downloaded for free at the Smashwords website. I found it to be a pretty straightforward guide on formatting for ebooks.

Regina Owensby Mize said:
    September 15, 2011 at 2:35 am

Thanks for the information. I will definitely check it out! Continued success!

Marsha A. Moore said:
    September 15, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thanks for the update and encouragement. I’ll be soon having a couple Indie releases and am eager to see how it goes. Good luck with your next release!

September 15, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thanks, Marsha. I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I am. Wishing you many sales!

4vampiremoons said:
    September 15, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing your info. Mine pretty much runs parallel to this, and I’m watching with interest.

Linda

www. lindathomas-sundstrom (dot) com.

September 15, 2011 at 11:50 am

Isn’t it exciting, Linda. 🙂

SD Writer said:
    September 16, 2011 at 11:18 am

It took me almost nine months to get all 8 of my Regency romances into e-book format. And then it’s been almost a year before sales really started to take off.

I think a great cover is critical–and you have that. The other important thing is good formatting (I’m now taking my Word files into Web filtered files and then importing them into Mobi creator to end up with better e-book formatting).

And finally, it’s just a matter of luck and sticking with it–like everything else in publishing. I’m now selling around 2K or more copies each month, which is a very, very nice thing. So stick with it–and get more books out!

September 16, 2011 at 11:22 am

Yes, I think that’s the key: sticking with it! It’s easy to get discouraged in this field. And yeah, wish I could write faster. *Sigh*