Writing is an Addiction

Happy Monday everyone! The next few months will be really busy as I wrap up Touch of the Angel, #3 in the Demons of Infernum series (which releases 12/11) and write Heart of the Incubus, a novella set in my Demons world (releasing 1/12). So I thought I’d line up some guest authors to blog on reading, writing, and whatever else comes to mind.

First up, my close friend Mary Abshire, who’s here to talk about writing as an addiction:

Hi, my name is Mary, and I’m addicted to writing.

A couple of years ago, I said to myself, I’d like to try writing again. I hadn’t written any stories since my early twenties, so I wasn’t sure if I could or would enjoy it like I once did. I’d come home after work, sit down, and write. Several months later, I finished a young adult novel. After I finished it, I queried agents and got some requests. Also received plenty of rejections. But I had done my homework. I expected to get the rejections. I never let them bring me down.

While waiting for a publisher or agent to contact me, I continued writing. Months later, I finished a paranormal romance for adults. I set it aside and returned to the first book. My reaction when I looked at it? God, this needs work. LOL. I tried to fix it, but got bored. I wanted to write, not edit. So, I set it aside and started to write a sequel to the adult novel.

While I waited for someone to contact me, I increased my writing frequency. I wrote every night and weekends. I read too, every day. I was determined to succeed. I couldn’t quit. I’m not a quitter. A month or so later, I came up with an idea for a series. I went to work on it and after I finished the first, I started on the second. This is my Soul Catcher series. A few months went by before a publisher said, “hey, we want this.” After I got the contract for my first book, I wrote more. Every free minute I had, I wrote. This is when writing became an addiction instead of a hobby.

My addiction isn’t always pleasant. Like a drug, there are high and low moments. Editing being a low moment, but edits are necessary and do improve the story. So, in the end, I ask, is my drug of choice worth it? My answer every time is the same. Yes. I have so many ideas for books. I just want to write and share them. When I’m deep into a scene, I want to get everything out of my head, and then move on. Finish that book, and go to the next one.

Maybe part of my addiction stems from still being a newbie in this industry. Sure, I have four books published and one more on the way, but I haven’t been published a year yet. I feel like I am still growing, still learning. And I love to learn. In my opinion, a good way to develop is to keep writing and reading. Could learning be any more fun? Not for me.

So, I’m wondering… If you write, create reviews, or handle blogs, do you ever feel writing is addictive? Is it a phase that will die down, but not go away, or truly a passion? Care to share your thoughts?

Mary Abshire is a Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Author. Love Conquers All Evil, #4 in her Soul Catcher series, released in August 2011. It’s a great series, so if you haven’t read it, start with Claiming the Evil Dead (#1), then continue with Catching an Evil Tail (#2), Fighting Evil (#3), and finally Love Conquers All Evil (#4).

You can stalk Mary at the following sites:

And Coming in January from Lyrical Press:

16 thoughts on “Writing is an Addiction

Brooke Moss said:
    October 10, 2011 at 2:11 am

I completely agree. My writing is an addiction. I have friends who are writers who take days/weeks off, etc. I can’t seem to do that. My writing is the only thing I do that calms me, relaxes me, and that is only for me. Even if I stopped publishing books, I would still write. It’s just part of me. My addiction. 🙂

–Brooke Moss

Mary Abshire said:
      October 10, 2011 at 9:50 am

Hi Brooke Moss,
      Writing is a great escape, just like reading. And you’re right, it’s part of who we are. When I was a teen and didn’t have a computer back then, I had pen pals, lots of them. I wrote all the time to them, and come to think of it, I think I was addicted even then. lol. I guess some things never change.
      Thanks for the comment.

frugalfam said:
    October 10, 2011 at 2:20 am

Writing is the best drug on the market. It definitely beats the anti-depressants that my doctor put me on following my miscarriage. True, it can give you vivid dreams, keep you up late at night or get you up early. But it is all worth it in the end.

Mary Abshire said:
      October 10, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks for your comment. Writing may not cause health problems, but it does impact one’s life. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I wish you well!!!

October 10, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the great post, Mary. I have to admit I have obsessive traits, and I’m very addicted to writing. On the one hand it’s great because there are so many worse things to be addicted to, but it’s a constant struggle reminding myself to stop and take note of the things that really matter in life: like my family.

Mary Abshire said:
      October 10, 2011 at 9:54 am

Rosalie,
      Many thanks for having me on your blog. Maybe we should start a club for us addicts?

terryspear said:
    October 10, 2011 at 8:06 am

Oh, absolutely, Mary. I work full time so I have to get my writing in on my hours off–which is my excuse. But if I quit my full time job, then what? Would I just put in 40 hours of a work week in writing? Doubtful. I’d spend just as much time writing as I do now, plus 40 more hours each week. Would I love it? Absolutely!

Mary Abshire said:
      October 10, 2011 at 10:07 am

Terry,
      I’m in the same boat. I look forward to coming home and writing after a long, stressful day at work. If I didn’t have a full time job, would I spend days and nights writing too. Maybe it’s a good thing to have a full time job– to talk to people, get ideas for books, etc. But I could do without the stress :o)

Margaret Fieland said:
    October 10, 2011 at 9:04 am

{Grin} Absolutely, it’s addictive — and my family will, unfortunately, attest to that.

Mary Abshire said:
      October 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Margaret,
      I hope they are understanding and supportive of you. Sometimes it is a juggling act.

Thanks for your comment

Liz Crowe said:
    October 10, 2011 at 9:14 am

Great post! Actually, I have to force myself to stay away from it…to actually do things like housework, laundry, dog walking and what not, using “I’ll let myself write for 3 hours after” as a reward!
    Liz

Mary Abshire said:
      October 10, 2011 at 10:25 am

Liz,
      Good idea, but just think of the time you could spend writing instead of doing laundry. Wouldn’t enjoy the former more? lol. Just kidding. A reward system is a great idea. Thank you for leaving a comment.

Patricia said:
    October 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I’m addicted to writing, but find myself blocked (for over 9 months now), so I now realize that the biggest downside to my addiction is withdrawal when a block hits. My solution has been to take classes and work on my craft while I try to figure out what the heck is getting in my way. I think it’s all that’s kept me sane, to be honest, since I can write brief homework assignments. That tells me that, though it seems that I can’t write, actually I can. I just seem to be blocked on the story that’s haunting me, begging to be written. My writer friends don’t seem to “get it” at all–for them the “drug” flows freely.

Shelley Munro said:
    October 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’ve been writing for a long time now. When I first started I wrote every moment I possibly could, but these days I try to balance my life a bit better. I try to fit in other interests plus do some exercise. Could I ever stop writing? Never!
    But I do have to confess that my mind is constantly thinking about my plot, so in a sense writing is never far away.

It’s not easy combining working a full time job plus writing. I admire you. Good luck with your addiction. 🙂

Louisa Bacio said:
    October 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Mary,

Recently I was asked if I preferred editing or writing better. At the time, I didn’t have a quick answer. Afterward, I thought about it, and if I go a few days without editing, I don’t get antsy. If — for whatever reason — I can’t write, it’s a definite addiction. You’re not the only one.

Sylvia McDaniel said:
    October 11, 2011 at 9:15 pm

It’s been 20 years and yes, I’m still addicted. I’ve tried to give it up, but frankly, I miss it way too much. Yes, there are lots of lows and some nice highs. But I’ve come to the conclusion that I love it way too much to give it up.

i still work a full time job and try to work 15 minutes every day. That’s the time of day I love the most. Editing…ugh!.