You Mean We Have To Work Together? by Rachel Firasek

Please welcome guest author Rachel Firasek, talking about team building and that dreaded middle child:

Everywhere I turn lately, the new “in-thing” is Team Building. I know, it’s crazy right? I’m so not a team player. I try real hard, but in the end I’ll always be that lone wolf standing slightly apart from the pack. Does this mean that I want to screw the team? Absolutely not. It means that I have to work harder at controlling my urges to stand apart. Hmmm… the more I think about it, standing alone doesn’t seem so bad—if it serves a purpose.

That’s a really big if.

Anyway, back to my point. I’ve been working on two series this year and I’ve learned some valuable lessons on team building through my stories. My most recent series: Curse of the Phoenix is a series dedicated to Egyptian mythology. I love these stories, but… they didn’t always love me.

They weren’t on my team. At least that naughty little book two wasn’t. The Last Awakening was a rude awakening to my ego.  The Last Rising (Book1) soared from my fingertips with very little plot problems and the characters did mostly what I wanted them to. But, not TLA. Nope, book2 was quite the little stinker. It is the series middle and as the middle child, it did what it was supposed to. It tested me. And as any good team leader would do, I whipped its butt and made it get back in line with the rest of the pack.

What was wrong with it?

It didn’t blend. Yes, sometimes when you’re part of a team if you stand out too much, you’re not really being a team player and that is exactly what was wrong with the first draft of that second book. So, it was sliced and diced until it became a story that matched the consistency and flow of the first in the series.

And low and behold, I had a book2  in my series that now felt like it should have been in the series instead of that loner standing on the outside. Book3 is turned into my editor and I totally felt good about that story when it was done. So, this is the first series that I’ve actually finished and turned in. It was a learning lesson in team work and how to make your books/characters/plots work as a team for you.

Have you read a book in a series that just didn’t quite fit in with the team? Written one? Leave me a comment and let me know. I’m all for a good conversation. 🙂

Learn more about the Curse of the Phoenix series HERE.

About the Author:

Rachel Firasek grew up in the south and despite the gentle pace, she harassed life at full steam. Her curiosity about mythology, human nature, and the chemical imbalance we call love led her to writing. Her stories began with macabre war poems and shifted to enchanted fairytales, before she settled on a blending of the two.

Today you’ll find her tucked on a small parcel of land, surrounded by bleating sheep and barking dogs, with her husband and children. She entertains them all with her wacky sense of humor or animated reenactments of bad 80’s dance moves.

She’s intrigued by anything unexplained and seeks the answers to this crazy thing we call life. You can find her where the heart twists the soul and lights the shadows… or at www.rachelfirasek.com .

18 thoughts on “You Mean We Have To Work Together? by Rachel Firasek

November 23, 2011 at 8:46 am

Thanks for stopping by, Rachel! I’ve read some books in past series that seemed completely disjointed. Oftentimes I think it was due to authors who didn’t have a clear vision of where their series was going yet. As long as the story is still enjoyable, I can live with it. 🙂

rfirasek said:
    November 23, 2011 at 9:22 am

Rosalie, you are so right. My problem with book 2 was uncooperative characters. I’d been reading a little too much heat and they were running rampant. lol. Had to whip them back into the group. Thanks for having me today!

Mary George said:
    November 23, 2011 at 9:38 am

Good morning.I’m writing a series on six brothers and each book takes place in a different body of water. I had to come up with a place to unify them so I added a central jailing system all criminals are sent to and introduce a new broter somewhere in the story so he doesn’t just fall out of nowhere in the next book.

Good article.
    Mary George w/a Cora Blu (I’m a serious loner myself so this I could understand)

rfirasek said:
      November 23, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I like the way you’re working your series. 🙂 And hoorah to another loner. lol. Thanks for coming by!

Maggie Blackbird said:
    November 23, 2011 at 10:09 am

Hmm, I can’t think of any books series off-hand. But a movie series that comes to mind is the Mummy. It wasn’t so much that movie, but the character Evy. She went from this lovely, naive, good-hearted heroine to the same kick-ass female I see in every other movie.

Great post.

rfirasek said:
      November 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

You are so right on the Mummy. Probably why I didn’t watch it after the second movie. Great example! Thanks, Maggie!

Yadira A. said:
    November 23, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Hi Rachel!

I’m a lone wolf too, but I fake really well when it comes to being part of a team:)

I can’t think of any books off hand that didn’t fit in with the team.

rfirasek said:
    November 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Yadira, I can see that about you, although, you know I heart you girl! 🙂 It’s okay to sit back from the pack. Those loners are usually some of the most ineresting people.

lmm831 said:
    November 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Congrats on your first full series! You might have had to whip them into shape but it was so worth it!

Lisa

Rachel Firasek said:
      November 24, 2011 at 12:02 am

Ah, thanks, Lisa! Girl, you know I know how to swing it. lol.

desiree said:
    November 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

wow il love the book and then the cover are great wish wish list

Rachel Firasek said:
      November 24, 2011 at 12:03 am

Desiree! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, please ask Santa, lol.

Dawn Chartier said:
    November 23, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Maybe this is why I start new books instead continuing with the series. Thanks for sharing your journey. Loved Pipers story, but I need to catch up and read your new series.

Rachel Firasek said:
      November 24, 2011 at 12:04 am

Ah, Dawn. You helped make Piper awesome. 🙂 I can’t wait to work on #2 with you. 😉 Sticking to a series can be tough, but I’m happy with it. 😉 That’s all that matters!

Lisa Kessler said:
    November 24, 2011 at 3:17 am

You’re not alone Rachel!!! I’m still whipping book 2 into shape… Frankenstiening it to fit in more romance. Seems like my book 2 had the opposite problem yours did! LOL Mine had too much thriller, not enough love…

But the revisions are going well so I’m encouraged… Can’t wait to work on the next book! 🙂

Good luck with the new release!

Lisa 🙂

Rachel Firasek said:
      November 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Ah, hang in there girl. I was a little shocked when I read through the last galley. “Is this mine? Really?” It’s a great feeling. Thanks!!!

Jordan K Rose (@JordanKRose) said:
    November 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

Hi Rachel. Great post. It’s always nice to hear that other writers are working through the same challenges as me! Thanks for sharing. Jordan

Rachel Firasek said:
      November 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm

That’s one thing about me, lol. I’m not shy about sharing, even if it is a bit humiliating. If it helps someone else, it’s for a good cause. 🙂 Stick with it woman.