What Drives Me To Write – Guest Post by Barbara Donlon Bradley

Happy Monday, everyone! Today I have a special guest author, Barbara Donlon Bradley, stopping by to talk about her writing inspiration and her Vespian Way series. Without further ado:

Each time I sit at my computer to work I wonder what will flow out of me. I’ve had stories that where so hard to write it hurt to put the book on paper. Then there were others that filled my brain so fast I couldn’t type fast enough.

My Vespian Way series has been so much fun to write. I have been working on the series for two years now and book seven is hounding me to be written. Here’s what I mean. Dominated by Desire, the first book in the series, took me three weeks to write the rough draft. The characters pushed and prodded me until I did as they asked. I couldn’t get to my computer fast enough each day and that hasn’t really changed as I have worked on this series.

The crazy thing is it came to me in a dream. I saw the first scene of the first book. It was so vivid I had to write it down, then the next thing I knew I had several chapters. I found it so hard to stay away from the story line. Every day I went to the computer and worked on it. When I finished the rough draft I was excited and sad at the same time. I loved the characters. Would this be the only book? Then as I edited it book two started to formulate in my head. I wanted to do the happy dance.

Passionate Desire poured out of me, so did Animal Desire. When I submitted Unwanted Desire to Phaze I was working on book six. Now I’m working on book seven. The characters kind of sit on my shoulder and wait for me to write. Even now, as I work on this, I can feel them staring at me wondering when it will be their turn and with more characters they can push me pretty hard.

The craziest thing is now, in book seven there is a major plot developing. One that has probably been in the back of my mind for a while, but I had to set up the characters, and it took me several books to do that. I have a feeling that this series will go on for a while and I love the adventure my characters take me on.

— Barbara Donlon Bradley

To learn more about the Vespian Way Series, and the most recent release,  Unwanted Desire (Book 4), visit Barbara at http://www.phaze.com/author.php?author=21 or see her backlist at www.barbaradonlonbradley.com

Visit Barbara on:

Twitter – http://twitter.com/barbbradley

FaceBook – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barbara-Donlon-Bradley/118673448173249

Blog – barbaradonlonbradley.blogspot.com

11 thoughts on “What Drives Me To Write – Guest Post by Barbara Donlon Bradley

October 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Barbara! I think dreams are an author’s best friend. I came up with my Demons of Infernum series this way, and as with yours, it’s been an absolute joy to write.

Barb:) said:
      October 22, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for having me!

Barb:) said:
    October 22, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi All!
    Sorry I have been a little late getting here – it turned into one of those days that kept me hopping but I’m here now and ready to answer any questions or respond to any comments

flchen1 said:
    October 22, 2012 at 9:39 pm

How exciting, Barbara! I imagine that writing is not always like this, but what a gift when it flows so well and the characters demand their stories of you 🙂

Barb:) said:
      October 22, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I have been very lucky with that – they’re like my best friends now so we work well together 🙂

flchen1 said:
        October 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

LOL! Has it been true for all your books, or especially this series? 🙂 Is there any sort of “routine” you need to follow to make this work best, or do you just sit down to write when you can and it just works?

Barb:) said:
    October 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Crazy huh? It has been true for all my books – but this series is special.The crazy way I write is a routine for me. The scenes I’m getting ready to write or the ones I just edited sort of brew in my head while I’m working or dealing with other things so they are ready to be written or edited when I get to my computer. I developed this way of writing over the years and it works for me.

flchen1 said:
      October 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm

That is SO awesome, Barb! How amazing! And love that these characters are like friends now! Do you have an “end” in mind for this series, or do you have many more stories in mind? 🙂

Barb:) said:
        October 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Book seven is the beginning of a new section of the story line – I think this series is going to go on for a while. I’m excited about it.

Barb:) said:
    October 22, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I had a wonderful time but I’m on the easy coast and it’s 1 am now – must go to bed or I’ll turn into a pumpkin – I will check tomorrow for any new comments and respond.

flchen1 said:
      October 23, 2012 at 12:37 am

Thanks so much for chatting, Barb! That’s great news about book seven and the direction of the series! Woot!!! 🙂 Happy writing!