St. Augustine and the Olde City, New Blood Conference

IMG_20130210_143157I had the pleasure of attending the Olde City, New Blood Conference in St. Augustine on February 8-10, 2013. It was a weekend of many firsts: my first reader-oriented conference, my first conference as a published author, and my first time to St. Augustine. So I alternated being a drooling fan-girl to awesome authors like Cynthia Eden and Caridad Piñeiro, meeting with some amazing readers and bloggers, and being an awestruck tourist.

The conference took place in a hotel located on beautiful St. Augustine Beach (the picture on the left is of some pretty cool kites floating from the pier right next to the hotel; below is my only shot of the hotel—> author fail, lol). The temperature ranged from low 70s during the day to low 50s at night, which was enough for more than one tourist to bare almost all on the beach. But for this South Florida girl, it was a tad bit chilly, so other than a brief stop on my way out of town, I stayed off the beach.

IMG_20130209_181759

On Saturday, I did a fun meet and greet event by the hotel pool with two other authors: Laura Kaye and Hildie McQueen. Hildie was awesome enough to bring zydeco music…and piña coladas! The pics below illustrate just how much fun it was:

426073_395548733874069_1910117008_n
[That’s me on the right.]

IMG_20130209_140324

I also got to attend some of the panels. My favorite was Sunday’s ‘Authors In The Audience’ panel, where a large group of authors turned the tables on the audience by asking them questions! A close second was Saturday’s ‘Shifters: Where The Weres Are’ panel, in which the authors discussed the types of shapeshifters they wrote (love me some shifters).

IMG_20130210_102030

Oh, and let’s not forget the charity book signing on Sunday. So many authors in one spot…drool!

IMG_20130210_124852

Besides all the fun conference activities, I took some time to tour the gorgeous sites of Old St. Augustine (some pics below). For anyone who has never been there, I certainly recommend it. What a thrill standing inside buildings that were over 400-years-old! We don’t have too many of those here in Florida. 🙂

So, to sum up, I had a blast, I am now a hugely freakish fan of St. Augustine and of all the amazing people I met, and I absolutely cannot wait to go back! Thanks to Jennifer Morris for putting this together, and I hope to see you all next year!

View from the top of the Castillo de San Marcos
View from the top of the Castillo de San Marcos
One of the beautiful old streets.
One of the beautiful old streets.
Outside the Castillo de San Marcos
Outside the Castillo de San Marcos

12 thoughts on “St. Augustine and the Olde City, New Blood Conference

Dena said:
    February 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

What a beautiful place! Have been there twice and hope to go again. Wouldn’t that be a great setting for a book?? 🙂

February 15, 2013 at 10:32 am

So I’m thinking, Dena! Already brainstorming, lol.

jennabennett said:
    February 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm

There are a lot of books set in St. Augustine. Nancy Haddock writes a series; she was there. Heather Graham has written one or two. I’m sorry to have missed you, Rosalie. I saw you in passing once or twice, but never when it was convenient to talk.

February 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I’m sorry I missed you too Jenna, but that’s okay. We’ll have to get together next time!

Freddy Cellophane said:
    February 15, 2013 at 5:03 pm

No pics of the very beautiful and talented YA author Lea Nolan?

February 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I don’t, but I sat next to her and she is indeed very beautiful! And super-kind too! 🙂

Sophia Rose said:
    February 16, 2013 at 8:57 am

Ah, that sounds like an wonderful place to visit and have a convention.

Thanks for sharing!

February 16, 2013 at 9:23 am

It was a beautiful place and an amazing time. Wish you could make the next one!

Richard Carter said:
    July 8, 2013 at 5:29 am

It’s kind of funny that you were there on a day that we were flying some of our “cool” kites, my wife is an avid romance novel reader and I’ll have to show her this post. I don’t think she has read any of your books, but I think she will.

Richard

July 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

The kites were awesome, Richard and Sue!

Sue Winer Carter said:
    July 8, 2013 at 7:46 am

As usual, you made me smile this morning Richard, Remembering the wonderful day in the Spring Flying our kites! to see more Kites from around the world… I invite everyone to visit our group in Facebook: Kite Flyers https://www.facebook.com/groups/224328550915109/

Sue Winer Carter said:
    July 8, 2013 at 7:48 am

And if anyone doesn’t have facebook we have a website for sharing Kite Photos: We-Kite.com